Wallabi's Farm: The English Hototogisu Bakery and Farm Blog

Hello, my name is Sara. In 2005 my husband and I bought an old farmhouse in Okayama, borrowed a few fields and set to building ourselves a pleasant rural life. Now, several years on, we have fields a-plenty, what was until the end of 2012 a wheaty bread bakery and is now prepping to be a gluten-free space, and have incorporated our efforts into the Hototogisu Bakery and Farm. Welcome!

Monday, February 09, 2009

Working Weather

Though it is still winter, we are experiencing a few lovely sunshiney days that have us out working in the fields for a change. What a wonderful feeling! Yesterday we got some mundane but necessary picking up done; clearing around the compost pile in preparation for building a new little compost complex, picking up generally around the place to atone for the scattering of bits of plastic done by winter winds and turning sticks and bamboo into firewood. We also, at long last, finished planting the tulips and daffodills we bought last fall. Today, another sunshiney (though yet COLD) morning, we are sitting with our coffee (confirmed addicts that we are) listing out all the fields we rent and borrow (there are 18 in total - my oh my!), adding up the area and making plans for the coming year. Shuzo is counting as a type, so I'll get back to you with the estimated area. Once our coffee is finishes, we will get a few minor housekeeping/bakerykeeping tasks out of the way (laundry, moving some furniture) and then we shall don our logger personnas and attack the hillside next to the bakery with an eye to next year's firewood and preventing the overhanding trees from being transformed into trees that have attacked our roof by the next large typhoon. The wonderful next door neighbor stopped by for a chat yesterday evening so we were finally able to establish which Yokoyama-san owns the hillside (literally half of the neighborhood is named Yokoyama-san) and were gracefully granted permission for the project. Big plans we have!

The numbers are in - we are cultivating approximately 6 tan, or nearly 15 acres. Wow!! I had no idea. That is pretty farmer like, especially here. Granted, not all of it is under active cultivation - several of the fields are new to us, and the goat yard has little but a few apple trees and indigo bushes for the bees, but others are pretty intensively farmed. Well, I guess we had best get to work.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Hi! I wonder if you can help me with some info? I have a friend moving to Japan from the US. She is looking for wheatberries to grind her own flour. Do you know how/where to get these in Japan? Any info or leads would be so helpful! Thanks!

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Hey you two (three)!

Thanks for keeping up with the Blog, this is where I get my updates on your lives. It all sounds so nice and I can't wait to come visit some day. I hope everything is well.

Dan

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger medea said...

Just want to say hello. Love your blog- can't wait for more updates!

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Martin J Frid said...

What a wonderful blog, thank you!!

I'm in central Saitama where the majestic mountains just start to claim their true rights from the Kanto plains. I have a tiny vegetable patch and I also help a couple of farmers around here, trying to pick up skills and - because it is so much fun.

Kim, your friend should contact Alishan, an organic food seller in Koma, Saitama. They speak English and have a Tengu mail order shop that will be very helpful to find whole grains (I had to google "wheatberries" LOL) and even dinkel/spelt. Keep in touch and let me know if that is useful advice.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home