Wallabi's Farm: The English Hototogisu Bakery and Farm Blog

Hello, my name is Sara. In 2005 my husband and I bought an old farmhouse in Okayama, borrowed a few fields and set to building ourselves a pleasant rural life. Now, several years on, we have fields a-plenty, what was until the end of 2012 a wheaty bread bakery and is now prepping to be a gluten-free space, and have incorporated our efforts into the Hototogisu Bakery and Farm. Welcome!

Friday, February 03, 2012

A look around the winter-time farm

(Yeah, those photos didn't post right ... today is very evidently not a good technological day for me ... maybe I'll find the problem and - even better - solution tomorrow. For now, I give up. Technology has once again outwitted me.)

A snowy February!

It has been a cold few days here, with a low of minus 8 degrees Celsius last night (or, more accurately, at about 7am this morning) and bursts of snow every day so far in February (granted, there have only been three days in the month so far, but still, they have made an impression on me!). There hasn't been enough snow to create real problems (unlike the time a few years ago when so much snow fell that it snapped the electricity line) or even enough to make a proper snow-scape, but I took some photos anyway, and I'll use them to give you that tour of the farm I have been meaning to get to.

Very well, to begin:

The animals! My goat friends, Mary and Pon, made a little noise at the snow but ate a good afternoon's meal nonetheless:



While nearby, the chickens kept together but explored the snowy yard a little:


In the vegetable kingdom, things are slowing down:


But the beautiful (on the inside) greenhouse is fooling the mizuna and shungiku into growth:

And finally, in the farmhouse, the woodstove is a key bit of farm equipment:

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous garage equipment said...

The red International Haverster tractor had exceptionally well-designed lines. The design of the grille is of course meant to allow fresh cool air into the engine.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home