Two years ago, shortly after I went gluten-free (and thus removed most of the soy sauce out there from my diet, on account of it's having been made with wheat kouji starter), we got together with some friends and started a batch of soy sauce. Now, in case you don't know, soy sauce is not the sort of thing you mix up and eat the same evening. It needs a while - two years or so, evidently - to ferment. For about two years now, therefore, we have been moving, again and again, to corners throughout the house, a veeeery large and heavy bucket of fermenting goo (or, to put it another way, beans and rice, plus some salt, has been molding in various corners throughout the house for the last two years. Now, if you think that sounds bad, just wait a few more months, when I will tell you about Shuzo's natto slimy-bean-rotting fermentation project, and his attempts to make me a natto-lover).
Anyway. It is now coming up on time to separate the liquid soy sauce from the other stuff; a project I don't very well know how to approach. The big bucket is still sitting in the pantry, for this reason, but while I was cleaning the kitchen yesterday, I came across the small jar we set aside for observation, and we decided to try straining it. Straining attempt the first failed (a metal colander suspended above a pot), but attempt number two, the coffee filter, appears to be a success! Now, to work up the courage to taste it.