Wallabi's Farm: The English Hototogisu Bakery and Farm Blog

Hello, my name is Sara. In 2005 my husband and I bought an old farmhouse in Okayama, borrowed a few fields and set to building ourselves a pleasant rural life. Now, several years on, we have fields a-plenty, what was until the end of 2012 a wheaty bread bakery and is now prepping to be a gluten-free space, and have incorporated our efforts into the Hototogisu Bakery and Farm. Welcome!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Entering the Final Lap

One more week to go! We are entering the final week of being a gluten-filled bread baking bakery and heading toward exciting new things. I am mostly filled with happiness - the past two years of being surrounded by bread I couldn't eat and loved persons being covered in flour have been somewhat stressful, but at the same time, putting away all the unique recipes and the business we worked so hard to figure out how to run if not hugely profitably, at least in a way to support ourselves modestly, is a bit of a sad step. If anyone wants a bit of our sourdough starter (started a good decade ago when we lived in the States!) or some recipes, stop by very soon. We'd be glad to share.

So, goodbye sweet Pan Ya Hototogisu, I will miss you.

(probably I should end the post here and start a new one entitled: Hello New and Exciting Opportunities! But I am writing on my little ipod and am too lazy to do this, so bear with me.)

Luckily, new and exciting projects are on the horizon, and the problem will not be one of trying to figure out wat to do with our time. Immediately after Christmas we will (rather, Shuzo will - engaging in this project would knock me over and keep me down for weeks) clean the bakery and scrub and polish and vacuum and sort and just generally obliterate all traces of flour in the bakery (is anyone out there in the market for a used but fantastic stone mill?) in time for our debut as a gluten-free bakery on a very small scale in January, and in preparation for increasing the scope of our food-at-events-and-markets set-up. We are still working on the menu, but man-oh-man are we going to have some good food at next year's Kyobashi Asaichi and Kurashiki Roji Ichiba markets, and when the Roji Cafe Kurashiki reopens in late January (wait, I haven't mentioned the cafe here, have I - that will be a post for another day or, if you happen to be in Kurashiki of a wednesday and want some lunch, search facebook for the Roji Cafe page (you'll need to do that in katakana, I think)).

Good times and great health in the future!!

ps - if you know anyone in Japan struggling to stay gluten-free, send them my way. I've experience a-plenty to share and with a little luck in the kitchen will have gluten-free brownies (and oh-so-much-more!) to sell in the new year. health and yumminess to all!

1 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger Jo Tomooka said...

It sounds like your plans are amazing. I really envy you being able to move in this direction. I am looking forward to hearing how things work out.
I would definately be interested in your stone mill... we have wheat in the garden that will need to be milled! Let me know if you are serious about selling it... my e-mail is jotomooka@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home