Wallabi's Farm: The English Hototogisu Bakery and Farm Blog

Hello, my name is Sara. In 2005 my husband and I bought an old farmhouse in Okayama, borrowed a few fields and set to building ourselves a pleasant rural life. Now, several years on, we have fields a-plenty, what was until the end of 2012 a wheaty bread bakery and is now prepping to be a gluten-free space, and have incorporated our efforts into the Hototogisu Bakery and Farm. Welcome!

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Gearing Up To Go Gluten Free

We`ve made it past the busiest breadiest time of year, and finally have a few minutes here and there to sit quietly at the computer (though not too very many minutes, as though the rice harvest is done - yay! we weren't sure we were going to manage - there are beans yet to be harvested and the chickens need some attention as soon as it gets light out there).

Big changes are a-coming, beginning with the move to take the bakery gluten free. Yay! Hooray! And also, yikes, a little bit. We are still deciding on the new products (not komekopan/rice flour bread), and won't be focusing exclusively on baked goods,but it'll be yummy, I tell you, even for those of you who can eat wheat without getting ill. Anyhow, as I have perhaps mentioned here before (or have I?), I found I have a gluten intolerance and went gluten free three years ago, a step which took me out of the bakery and helped my health immensely, but which left my husband and daughter dangerous items, covered in flour much of the time, and me liable to be attacked by flying flour when selling and bagging bread. Late this year we finally came to terms with the notion that being surrounded by flour was preventing my being as healthy as I ought and made the monumental decisions to stop baking bread and stop growing wheat. We won't stop baking or making food or growing stuff, though, so exciting times are ahead as we settle into a new shape. The last bread will come out of the oven on December 22nd, and after a massive clean to get rid of all the flour dust, look for us in Kurashiki on December 29th where we will be serving up (gluten free) soup made with our veggies and chicken, with the possible addition of wild boar. Great things to come in the new year!

2 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger shinshu life said...

Wow. How exciting! I look forward to seeing your new direction. On rice flour bread, just wondering if you have ever found one that isn't really soft and kind of gluey? There is a rice flour bakery run by the village co-op here and they are fabulous bakers but I just can't get to like the glugginess...

I'm impressed that beans are still growing where you are. When does it start to frost/ snow where you are?

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Perogyo said...

Big things indeed! Hoping it brings you much success and health!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home