Wallabi's Farm: The English Hototogisu Bakery and Farm Blog

Hello, my name is Sara. In 2005 my husband and I bought an old farmhouse in Okayama, borrowed a few fields and set to building ourselves a pleasant rural life. Now, several years on, we have fields a-plenty, what was until the end of 2012 a wheaty bread bakery and is now prepping to be a gluten-free space, and have incorporated our efforts into the Hototogisu Bakery and Farm. Welcome!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A New Year, this 2013

Happy 2013!

This year is set to be one of big changes for us here at Hototogisu Bakery and Farm, as we get into the swing of gluten-free food production and simultaneously buckle down on the farm side of things.

As I'm writing this we have made it through the first round of introducing our new selves to most of our regular event customers - we've been to the Kyobashi Asaichi early morning market (the first place we sold bread after opening the bakery!) and to the Kurashiki Roji Ichiba (a wonderful weekly market that has become something of a home-away-from-home for me) and apologized to surprised-looking customers, handed out a new year's greeting Shuzo wrote up to help explain the changes and sold a few bowls of soup. Mostly chicken meatball soup made with chicken and veggies from our garden (sadly we don't produce kombu seaweed, salt or shitake mushrooms, so we had to buy those), as well as some garbanzo bean and wild boar stew and the Japanese sweet azuki bean soup oshiruko. All were very, very good (well, I'm taking the oshiruko on faith - I don't like sweet beans much anyway, and this batch had barley syrup left over from bread days), and the leftovers were a joy, as they meant I didn't have to cook lunch or dinner on Sunday (I write as though I were responsible for the cooking - in reality, I should say Shuzo didn't have to cook lunch or dinner, and I didn't have to clean the kitchen). So, things are looking promising.

The new gluten free menu remains very basic and will change a'plenty over the coming months, but if you see us out and about at an event or market, be sure we've got something yummy that is both home-made and home-grown.

1 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger Jo Tomooka said...

I can't wait to see how all the changes go this year. I think you have made a brave, but really positive move. There is a huge need for the market you are moving into. Please keep us updated as to how things go.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home